Text Size:
Home Children and Young People Parents and Carers Working with Children


Any works involving building maintenance, repairs construction or demolition including highways are subject to the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.

Managers are strongly urged to use Property Services for all building related projects as they may act as Client Service Provider and as such will ensure all of the requirements of the Safe Working Procedure ‘Control of Contractors and Service Providers are complied with.

The following will provide you with more information on the services they provide:

This rest of this micro site has been created to aid those Managers, Head teachers and Governing Bodies who take the decision to manage building works locally, without the expertise of Property Services.


Every contract made by or on behalf of the Council including its Executive and Cabinet Members shall comply with the Contract Procedure Rules and the Council's Financial Regulations. If you do not follow the Rules and/or fail to enter into a contract on behalf of the Council in accordance with them you will have breached the Code of Conduct and this could be a disciplinary offence.

Roles and responsibilities

Any manager who contracts their own building/construction project must seek professional, competent advice.

Under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM Regs) there are statutory duties on a 'client' who is commissioning a building/construction project. A Manager procuring ‘construction work’ is the client. There are other duties for CDM Coordinator, Designer, Principal Contractor and the Worker, the link below will provide you with a summary of those duties:

Summary of Duties Identified in the Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2007

Managers/Head teachers need to be aware that protection of the public (i.e. any non-employees not taking part in the building work) must be considered in the planning required by the CDM Regs; and that any injury to such a person must be reported. Further information on the necessary considerations and control measures can be found in Health and Safety Executive guidance HSG 151:

HSG 151 – Protecting the Public; Your next move

Managers have to ensure that any person/company commissioned to carry out work on a project, are complying with the above guidance and are competent to do so.

Further information on competencies can be found in:

Corporate Competences

Permits to work

A 'Permit to Work' must not be confused with an 'authorisation' to work.

An 'authorisation' to work will involve contractors making themselves known to site managers of their presence and the type of work they will be undertaking. The site manager can oversee proceedings, ensure the health and safety of staff and ensure the work is carried out in compliance with local procedures.

Control of this would include signing in and out of the site, contractors being made aware of potential asbestos locations (if breaking into the fabrication of the building), and the fire emergency procedures.

Civic Buildings have adopted an 'Authorisation to Work' form that has to be completed by all contractors carrying out works on any of the sites. Control of contractors is mandatory. The methods used to do this have to be suitable and sufficient to the workplace.

A 'Permit to Work' (PTW) on the other hand, is a formal authority to operate a planned procedure designed to protect personnel working in hazardous areas or carrying out hazardous activities. A PTW will be needed when the risks of a job or task are very high and the controls precautions need strict observance for the safety of those involved, examples include:

  • Entry into and work in confined spaces - with low oxygen, fumes or steam etc.

  • Hot work - in flammable, explosive or combustible environments.

  • Roof work - maintenance.

Any major work requiring a permit to work system should ideally be done by an external competent contract who should provide their own PTW system, as detailed in their SSW or Method Statement.

Flow chart - When to Issue a Permit to Work


The forms which can be downloaded at the foot of this page are sanctioned by Property Services and are available for the collation of relevant information.

Additional Information

Additional sources of information relating to the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations can be found on the HSE website and within the approved codes of practice:

Any other information on the requirements of any form of building works can be obtained from Property Services, or the Corporate Health and Safety Service.

Click on the following links below to find out more information on the topics described.

Downloadable documents

Icon Name of file Size Download time
Word document Safe Working Procedure - Control of Contractors and Service Providers 227 KB 0secs @ 2Mbps
Binary file Contractors incident notification form 809 KB 3secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Pre-construction proforma 588 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Site Safety Inspection (Construction Only) 628 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Site Safety Report Evaluation sheet (Construction Only) 574 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Authorisation to work 613 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Permit to work - Confined spaces 548 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Binary file Permit to work - Hot works 1314 KB 5secs @ 2Mbps
Word document Permit to work - Roof works 768 KB 3secs @ 2Mbps
In partnership with
Southampton City Council logo Southampton Connect logo Southampton Safeguarding Children Board NHS Southampton City Southampton Children and Young People's Alliance Hampshire Constabulary
© Southampton Children and Young People's Trust 2011